Are eFoils Vessels?
Quick shout out to Jeremy Byrom of eFoil Lake Powell on YouTube for a great explanation of the USCG's classification of eFoils.
Important Notes on eFoil Classification:
- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security and United States Coast Guard have released updated document regarding watercraft, including e-foils, motorized surfboards, and personal watercraft.
- The document classify these watercraft as vessels and provide guidance on various aspects, such as registration, propulsion types, placement of decals, incident reporting, equipment requirements, manufacturer compliance, and ownership.
- Watercraft owners are required to register their vessels and obtain identification numbers (HIN) similar to VINs for cars.
- The document allows for the placement of registration numbers on the deck of e-foils and motorized surfboards, addressing the challenge posed by their design.
- Carrying a fire extinguisher is not mandatory for these watercraft, but it becomes necessary if the operator is not wearing a Coast Guard-approved personal flotation device (PFD).
- Compliance with a compliant engine cutoff switch (ECOS) is required for manufacturers, and it may include electronic fobs used for engine cutoff on e-foils. Watercraft manufactured before 2020 are exempt from having an ECOS.
- The documents emphasize the importance of safe operation and respect for others while using these unique watercraft.
Note: Please ensure that you review and comply with the latest official guidelines and regulations from the respective authorities when dealing with any watercraft.
MACkite Subscription Links:
YouTube | Instagram | Spotify Oddcasts
Contact MACkite Below:
800.622.4655 | eFoils@MACkite.com | LIVE Chat Messenger
18th May 2023
Embracing the Silver Surfer Lifestyle | How Men Over 40 Can Benefit from Wing FoilingAs men reach their 40s and beyond, they often find themselves searching for new and exciting way …25th May 2023
The Ultimate Guide to Traveling with Kiteboarding and Wing Foiling GearIntroduction Traveling with kiteboarding and wing foiling gear can be an exciting and rewardin …19th May 2023
Are eFoils Vessels?Link to USCG Document Quick shout out to Jeremy Byrom of eFoil Lake Powell …18th May 2023